Tuesday, May 24, 2005

psychologists make too little

I just spent 7 hrs listening to a crippled old woman tell me about her entire life. I served her food and drink and allowed her to verbally chase all of my customers away because she would not leave them alone... The men fared the worst with her. If you had an adam's apple she wanted to marry you - or at least have you buy her a martini. At about hour 5 (or the second lap around her stories of Israel and the Bahamas) I realized this woman probably had no money. I told the manager my suspicions and he told me I had to continue to serve her. So, for another 2 hrs... I did. And when all of my normal customers had run away, I remained. And somehow I felt compassion on her and prayed for her the entire time. Finally, I had to tell her that it was time for me to go home and after cleaning the bar and putting everything away I convinced her that there would be no more liqour served and she should head out... Well, that didn't go well... Some tears were shed, more sad (yet much faster told) stories and then I asked her to pay the bill.
I had already suspected that she had no money so, when she handed me back the receipt that now had "IOU" written across the top in the best penmanship she could muster... I still held onto compassion for her. And when she began to cry and ask to go home with me... I still had compassion on her. And when she told me she knew that she cost me money by being there, I told her it was okay. So, when instead of leave she just went outside to have a smoke... I pitied her. And it broke my heart when my manager accepted the ring off of her finger as payment. So, I had compassion on her... And that frustrates me.

2 comments:

lindsay anne said...

I liked reading this. I can feel your compassion, and I admire that. even though it made my heart sad for her.

Anonymous said...

I am a victim of that everyday! I pity everyone even when I should say NO!