Friday, September 30, 2005

I Think I've Found The Logic

How did Whomever come up with the word "bowling" for the name of his newly invented pastime? There is no bowl involved in any aspect of the sport. I have gone through entire 10 frame matches, several matches a day, and never once considered the correlative relationship between my actions and the concaved container I ate my breakfast out of that morning.

Now, this leads me to the obvious next question: Which came first - the Bowl or the sportsman Bowler? And then there's the Super Bowl! No bowls will be found on any football player's list of equipment neccessaties.

I'll tell you what I think. I think the guy that invented Bowls, the original Bowler, was an avid athlete. I think he probably loved competative and leisurely sports just as much as he loved the idea of making decorative half spheres. I'm sure it goes without saying that the The Bowler was a wealthy person since life without bowls is practically inconceivable, so he probably used his wealth to corner the market on pin bashing and championship American football.

That would make sense to me and it seems to correlate well with the history of the actual sport: www.bowlingmuseum.com/history.asp

No comments: